Blog Analysis #1

 "Show Me Around" by Carly Pearce


Show Me Around has a deeper meaning to me, about 10 years ago my older brother passed away. When I first heard this song it completely caught me off guard and instantly brought tears to my eyes, because all I could do was think of him. The lyrics perfectly put into words how I have felt over the last few years. Carly Pearce's voice is truly euphonious and with the emotional lyrics, the song will definitely put you in a sentimental mood. I don't know about you, but I am the kind of person who gets goosebumps when I hear a good song, and wow I got goosebumps all over my body after this one! Have you ever experienced a song like that?

"I heard you got a brand new place

Feels like at least a million miles away

I hope I get to meet you there someday

And we'll pick back up like no time passed

Yeah, I pray it happens like that"


Click the link below to hear the complete song.

Show Me Around By Carly Pearce - USA, 2020
According to tasteofcountry.com Pearce co-wrote "Show Me Around" with Emily Shackleton and Ben West.

Melody: 

The melody itself in this song is pretty simple, I believe they truly wanted the lyrics to be heard more than the melody.  The melody sounds so simplistic and angelic at the same time. According to Lauren Jo Black from Country Now, "The song features minimal production, which allows Pearce’s stunning vocals to bring the song’s touching message to life." I couldn't agree more, the melody is straightforward so we can really focus and appreciate the beautiful lyrics and her angelic voice.

Rhythm: 

The Rhythm in this song is very slow creating a sorrowful but talented piece of work. I believe the rhythm of this song is Andante which is a steady "walking" tempo, right in the middle of the road. Not too fast to become overwhelmed and not too slow to allow for you to fall asleep. 

Meter:

The meter in this song is grouped into 4 beats. Near the end of the song starting with the lyrics 
"To see your face
But for now, I'll wait",
there is a Ritadrando which is the gradual slowing of the tempo. After this Ritadrando there is a temporary pause or silence in the beat, which is followed by the Accelerando (the gradual speeding up of the tempo). All of these actions help aid in the overall feeling of the song. It invokes you to truly experience the emotions for yourself. This song is beautifully written with a lovely tone and such great control! Bravo!





Sources:

Black, Lauren Jo. “Carly Pearce Releases ‘Show Me Around,’ A Heart-Wrenching Tribute To Her Late Producer and Friend, Busbee.” Country Now, 4 Dec. 2020, www.countrynow.com/carly-pearce-releases-show-me-around-a-heart-wrenching-tribute-to-her-late-producer-and-friend-busbee.

Zimmer, Angela. “Carly Pearce’s ‘Show Me Around’ Is for Her Late Producer, Busbee [Listen].” Taste of Country, 4 Dec. 2020, tasteofcountry.com/carly-pearce-show-me-around-song-for-busbee/.




Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolute goosebumps! I'm so sorry to hear about your brother, I cannot imagine that kind of heartbreak and loss. What a treasure it is to find songs like this to remind you of him in a heartwarming way. I cry every time I hear, "Yesterday" by Atmosphere. It makes me think of my grandpa who passed away and reminds me how much I miss him.

    I do agree with all your elemental thoughts on this song, especially the simple melody to accentuate the lyrics and message of the song. I also felt like I was walking alongside Carly with the tempo having a personal conversation with her.

    I read in an article a great description of her timbre, "full of vivid imagery and vocals steeped in saving grace, not sorrow."

    One thing I found out in reading various articles was the story behind this song and I think that's important to share. I honestly am not familiar with Busbee, so it was really sweet to hear who the song was about and the connection she had with him.

    Great job on your analysis, Candice! Even though this isn't a genre of music I typically listen to, I really enjoyed it. The simplicity of this song and its meaning behind it really did a great job using the musical elements to meld it all together so well.

    Here is the web address if you would like to read the article mentioned above:
    https://www.soundslikenashville.com/music/carly-pearce-tribute-late-producer-busbee-show-me-around/.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This is already a wonderful song, with so much feeling in it, being reminded of someone would just make it all the more haunting. I loved the way that she used her voice to really add to the music, which is what lyrics should do, but I think she takes it a bit further than the average song. The way that it gradually built and receded reminded me of an ocean wave at times. I agree with you, I think the lyrics themselves, and the way that they are sung are what the composers were hoping would be heard, more than the melody. It seems like the singing is the real music part, while the instruments are more to support her and back her up.
    Since I had never heard the song before, I did a quick Google search on it to find out a bit more about the singer and her song. It sounded like her reasons for writing it were somewhat similar to your feelings about it. She had recently lost her producer to brain cancer and was feeling very emotional and raw. At his funeral, she was inspired to write her song because of a speech that a fellow songwriter gave. It’s no wonder the song has so much feeling; it’s genuine.
    Here is the link to the article in case you want to read it: https://www.countrynow.com/carly-pearce-tearfully-debuts-emotion-filled-new-song-during-75th-opry-performance/


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Continued Explorations-Brother Bear

Music and the Fictive Dream-The Lion King